SRA policy is to provide resources for seasonal residents to assure themselves of a fair property assessment. Membership provides access to online and telephone consultation services dealing with recreational property assessment – at no charge.
These services are limited to a review of the member’s particular concern about their assessment and a recommendation for future action. Certain activities might involve a more detailed analysis or action on behalf of the consultant and members could be billed separately. Members are urged to get clarity with regards to any charges that might be made. Tips for dealing with assessments:
- Contact the assessor for your Town or City and discuss your assessment.
- Do your homework (see below)
- Talk to other seasonal residents in your area
- Review your situation with the SRA consultant before taking any actions.
Do your homework:
When you contact your local assessor, have them send you a copy of their work sheet on your property. This will tell you what, officially, they have recorded about your property. Many “problems” have been resolved by reviewing this data and discussing discrepancies directly with the assessor before attending Open Book meetings and Board of Review hearings.
The following resource links will help you understand the basic options available to all property owners before contacting the SRA consultant.
- First review the GUIDE FOR PROPERTY OWNERS to become familiar with the assessment process and to determine your options..
- Next, take a look at the Board of Review procedures in the GUIDE FOR REASSESSMENTS… This will help you understand the role and obligatins of the Board of Review in the event that you decide to challenge your assessment and appear before the Board.
- If appropriate, you might want to examine the PROPERTY TAX APPEAL GUIDE to determine future steps along these lines, if any. While assessors do not deal with taxes, per se, their assessment directly impact the tax bill.
- Lastly, if you have any questions on the above or need clarification (or hard copies) be sure to contact:.
Wisconsin Department of Revenue
Bureau of Assessment Practices
P.O. Box 8971
Madison, WI 53708-8971
Contact the Consultant through the SRA office: 800-880-9944
Mr. Eugene Miller, Miller Associates